11.25.2012

Writing Assignment 1: Patrick in SpongeBob SquarePants (Final Version)

        Patrick was a role that I acted in a drama before and it was my hero. When I was a freshman, I joined a team that was going to hold a winter camp for children. We designed a variety of activities to help kids learn knowledge, understand the importance of cooperation and to let them show creativity. At the beginning of each activity, we needed to act in a play and implied to children what the purpose of this activity was. Our team consisted of 22 people but there were so many dramas and characters so each of us would not act only one time. I was a princess in this drama but might be a doctor in another drama.
        Nevertheless, I was frustrated since I could not act well and show the character’s features. Every time we had a rehearsal in front of the judges who were those sophomores and the team leader, I did not get a comment that I did well or I was exactly the character. We entered the judge room so many times that I could not even count. I stood in front of the door and was about to knock it. I felt nervous and thought what comment I would get this time. As my first leg stepped into the judge room, I felt the pressure was climbing from my toes to my shoulder and rested there.
        I faced difficulty but I was not going to stop in front of the tall wall on my way to success. I was depressed and wept much but it was time to break the wall and move on. Simultaneously, there were some members who could not bear pressure and quit one by one. They left lots of characters as well as a great deal of work and we needed to share them. That meant we had to act more plays and our responsibilities grew larger and heavier. At that time, I told myself, “You don’t like acting so in the beginning, you chose the characters whose personalities are like yours so when you act, you just need to show who you are. You are serious so you chose a serious role. You are graceful so you chose a princess. When the judges see you on the stage, they just see that is you not the character. You have to act no matter how much you are like the character. Now, you need to act more. This is your second time to pick up the roles. Be wise, girl.” Then, I gave it a try. I picked up some characters that were not like me and one of them was Patrick, silly and funny.
        Unbelievably, Patrick helped me gain the good comment from the judges. They said I was so funny and showed Patrick’s features perfectly. I was delighted. I was so happy that I wanted to shout at the sky that I made it. As the day we acted in front of the kids came, it turned out that those kids loved me. They did love my character, Patrick. I thought Patrick did not match me so I did not choose this role at first. People around me said that I was the kind of person who was earnest and graceful but it did not mean I could not act funny roles. Before I tried, how could I know I could not do it? This experience let me know my potential.


No comments:

Post a Comment